Friday, March 16, 2007

Something to talk about



Here is something for all of you moms and dads out there to chew on and maybe get a little laugh out of.

I am a stay at home mom of three children. Don't get me wrong, I love all three of them very dearly. I would not give them up for the world, or trade them for anything or any amount of money. But to be honest they drive me insane on most any given day of the week and weekend!

I have gotten to the point with my children where I dont' like to spank them anymore, because I feel like once I start it just seems like it is a never ending story. Now don't go thinking that I beat my children or anything like that, because I don't. Not by a long shot.

I do believe in spankings, yes. I grew up with spankings, even though I can count on one hand how many I received in my childhood. And let me tell you I richly deserved everyone of those spankings that I did get!!! (Thanks mom) They were very memorable!

My children have learned that I don't like to spank them, I don't like to have to get them in trouble. I would much rather that they listen to me the first time when they are told something. But, this also works to my disadvantage too. They have now come up with a plan to try and talk themselves around me.

This is where the driving me insane part comes in. Have you ever tried to talk sense with a 7,5, and 4 year old child? Has it ever worked for you? Have you ever tried to explain to a 4 year old that you cannot put a whole roll of toilet paper in the toilet because it will overflow and then mommy will have to then pull out all of the sopping wet toilet paper, plunge the toilet, and then adding insult to injury have to clean up all of the water that has spilled out of the toilet?!? Have you?!? It really does not work. I have tried it.

I have also tried explaining, very rationally mind you, to my 7 year old, that you cannot hit your brother for calling you names and then not expect to have to sit in time out, or get a spanking if it was really bad. Just because you get called a name does not justify hitting. His response to me was and I quote, "When we get in trouble you spank us, so I was just getting him in trouble and saving you the trouble mom." end quote. How cute.

My 7 year old is now trying to save me the trouble of punishing his younger siblings for minor offenses. How to explain that it is not his responsibility? I have tried to explain that one to him about a thousand times and I swear it really goes in one ear and out the other and is not retained in the little gray matter in between.

My 5 year old thinks it is ok to yell names at his brother and sister when he doesn't get his own way, and to threaten time outs if they don't give him what he wants. Starting to sound familiar? I am starting to feel like a broken record in my own home. Dinner time is another story. I would swear the child likes ice cold food! Yuck! No amount of coaxing, yelling, threating, bribing, you name it will get this child to eat faster than the pace of a sloth!

I have read numerous books, articles, you name it to try and get ideas and suggestions on how to deal with my children and everyone of them says to talk with them. Reason with them. Well, I have tried that, and the end result has been for them to turn around and use my own reasoning on me!

I guess I can say one thing for my children. They are smart! And cute!

0 opinions: